
I thought I would just post this for everyone to see just incase there are more people who would like to learn how to pan.
I am not an expert on panning so here is a link I found that probably explains how to do it better than I can.
http://tr-photo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/04/panning-how-to-capture-motion-in-your.html
For the shots I have taken using panning, I have used a shutter speed of around 15-30. You can of course adjust this to your liking. If the subject is moving faster than say a child running, you might want to adjust your shutter speed to 60-100. For panning, you need to shoot in either shutter priority mode or manual mode so you can control your shutter speed. If your camera has a continuous focus mode, I would use that setting. Also if your camera hast a burst setting, I would use that as well.
The trick to panning is moving your camera at the same speed as your subject. Normally, you stay stationary as you try and take a picture of your subject. When panning, you are pretty much just trying to mirror your subject's movement with your camera. This really takes some practice. In the beginning, I would save only one shot out of 50. The rest I deleted. Now I can get around 10 out of 30. I hear it takes some luck too, to get that "perfectly" panned shot. I haven't been lucky yet, so anyways...with Braedon on the fire poll type thing, I had to move my camera down as he was moving down. With Shalene, I tried to move my camera at the same speed she was moving by me. Her movement was easier to mirror than Braedon's. I think her face ended up a bit more in focus because of it.
I have found that panning works best when the subject is moving past you at an angle and not coming directly towards you. Does that make any sense? I don't know if panning would even work with someone coming towards you. I would think not unless you are moving backwards at the same rate. Might need a car or something to do that. I can't take a picture and run backwards at the same time. I would damage myself and others. ;)
Panning is just a fun little thing to do. It makes for some interesting pictures. If you have any questions, I would love to help in any way I can, but like I said, I am not an expert!
I am not an expert on panning so here is a link I found that probably explains how to do it better than I can.
http://tr-photo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/04/panning-how-to-capture-motion-in-your.html
For the shots I have taken using panning, I have used a shutter speed of around 15-30. You can of course adjust this to your liking. If the subject is moving faster than say a child running, you might want to adjust your shutter speed to 60-100. For panning, you need to shoot in either shutter priority mode or manual mode so you can control your shutter speed. If your camera has a continuous focus mode, I would use that setting. Also if your camera hast a burst setting, I would use that as well.
The trick to panning is moving your camera at the same speed as your subject. Normally, you stay stationary as you try and take a picture of your subject. When panning, you are pretty much just trying to mirror your subject's movement with your camera. This really takes some practice. In the beginning, I would save only one shot out of 50. The rest I deleted. Now I can get around 10 out of 30. I hear it takes some luck too, to get that "perfectly" panned shot. I haven't been lucky yet, so anyways...with Braedon on the fire poll type thing, I had to move my camera down as he was moving down. With Shalene, I tried to move my camera at the same speed she was moving by me. Her movement was easier to mirror than Braedon's. I think her face ended up a bit more in focus because of it.
I have found that panning works best when the subject is moving past you at an angle and not coming directly towards you. Does that make any sense? I don't know if panning would even work with someone coming towards you. I would think not unless you are moving backwards at the same rate. Might need a car or something to do that. I can't take a picture and run backwards at the same time. I would damage myself and others. ;)
Panning is just a fun little thing to do. It makes for some interesting pictures. If you have any questions, I would love to help in any way I can, but like I said, I am not an expert!
No comments:
Post a Comment